Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Epic? Sort Of...
The new trailer for Blue Sky Studios' Epic (based on William Joyce's The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs) is currently available on Apple, and I must say, it is an impressive trailer much like the first one, but it isn't without some problems.
- Like the first trailer, the action and staging is very impressive. The world they've created here is nice to look at, and the insect-like creatures have creative designs. If the story falls flat with this film, it'll still wow in the visual department.
- There's more focus on the young girl we briefly see in the first trailer, and her father.
- The tone of this trailer is hardly comedic or silly, which I like so far. How the actual film will feel, may not be the same, but I like the mood they went for here. Again, I liked that about the first trailer.
- The trailer is still a little vague, especially on the villainous creatures that we see. Again, we'll probably get more details on these characters in the next trailer since it'll be a while.
- The slug... Oh man... The slug. His brief lines at the end of the first trailer weren't bad enough, I can already tell that he's going to be the character that's going to make me cringe. He's not funny, he's like an awkward critter trying to be funny, like a lot of other animated films. Here's hoping he won't be in it that much.
Overall, a good trailer but there's still a lot more that should be covered next time around such as the villains. I'm just hoping that the story matches the scope of the film, but I've said this back when the first trailer came out, this looks like Blue Sky Studios' most ambitious project yet. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
What did you think of the trailer?