Thursday, January 16, 2014

You're Not Worthy


Monsters University has been shut out again… By the Academy Awards this time…

That's right, no Best Animated Feature nomination for Pixar's prequel. Who ended up making the shortlist?

The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
The Wind Rises

While I'm very happy that both Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises got nominated (I actually hope one of those two wins), I'm a bit peeved by Monsters University not getting in whilst The Croods gets a slot. I don't for the life of me understand the praise The Croods gets, and I have no idea why some out there really, really disliked Monsters University. (I've been seeing a lot of people calling it Pixar's worst, even worse than Cars 2.)

What's also weird about the list is that Monsters University was better received in the critic world than The Croods and Despicable Me 2 (I'm one of the lone wolves out there who thought it was a lot better than Frozen), but apparently the Academy just didn't think Pixar's latest was as impressive or as good as the dull but good-looking Croods and the wacky, fluffy Despicable Me 2.

Is it possible that the Academy shut Mike and Sulley out of the race so that Frozen would have a better chance at winning? Possibly, after all, almost everyone felt that Wreck-It Ralph was robbed last year. I thought so too, and this is coming from someone who felt that Brave was a very good film.

Or maybe the Academy feels that Pixar fails at making sequels that don't happen to star a certain cowboy and space ranger.

Who knows, but an Oscar is just like a Piston Cup… And you know what Doc Hudson thinks of those…

"All I see are a bunch of empty cups."

Director Dan Scanlon probably knows this, judging by his tweet this morning…


Anyways, I'm rooting for Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises. Foreign and hand-drawn animation needs to make a splash. Frozen? Well, Walt Disney Animation Studio deserves a Best Animated Feature Oscar, but they should've gotten their first one last year for their wrecker tale. I thought Frozen was good and entertaining, but not great. Any of those three, I'll be happy, but I'll be particularly overjoyed if the Academy goes against the grain and gives it to Ernest or Wind Rises. Anyone would, I think.

Pipe dream.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not mad about Croods being nominated...but I'm mad about DM2! Sure, it made a lot of money, and it's a fun little film, but there's nothing Oscar-worthy in it! WTH?

    Anyways, I'm rooting for The Wind Rises and Frozen, and once I've seen it, maybe Ernest & Celestine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan Scanlon's tweet was brilliant.

    I agree with the above comment, DM2 really was just "a fun little film" and should not be nominated, IMO. Croods? Well, I for one did enjoy it, but nominating it over Monsters University? No.

    So I guess I'll be rooting for Frozen this year. I haven't seen The Wind Rises or Ernest & Celestine, but will definitely do so when I get the chance. I am a little disappointed that what I thought was the best animated film of 2013 (I loved Frozen, but still thought MU was a bit better) is not nominated, but like you and good old Doc Hudson said, an Oscar is after all "just an empty cup".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises?

    ReplyDelete