Friday, February 21, 2014

Return of the Legos


That's right… It was going to happen sooner than later. Warner Bros. has announced the release date for the sequel to The Lego Movie!

The film is set to open on May 26, 2017 (very wise choice of release date), so that gives the new writing team and crew plenty of enough time to put together a decent sequel. I'm hoping it'll be decent, because masterminds Phil Lord and Christopher Miller aren't returning to pen or direct this film, and I feel that the sequel may lack because of it. That being said, Jared Stern is one of the new writers and he's also handling Disney Animation's Zootopia, though his live action resume isn't so hot.

But you never know, it could still be a fun sequel despite not being as inventive as the first film, or maybe it will be, who knows! Right now, it's listed as "Untitled Lego Movie", so who knows what kind of title they'll come up with for the sequel. The Lego Movie 2 would be kind of expected, so perhaps they might add a subtitle or something.

Now this leads me to ask… What about Storks and Smallfoot? Warner Bros. announced those two original animated projects last year, saying that they would follow The Lego Movie and come out in 2015 and 2016 respectively. 2015 looks like it's out of the question now, since we've heard very little about the former. No cast, no plot info, no nothing. (Unless WB is keeping everything super-secret.) Same with Smallfoot. I think one of them may end up being a 2016 release, but maybe Warner Bros. is more interested in striking the iron while it's hot first, then moving onto original productions.

I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see Doug Sweetland's directorial debut and the promising new project from Sergio Pablos. What do you think is going on with these two Warner Bros. Animation features?

Are you excited for a Lego Movie sequel? Do you think it could match the original? Or do you think it won't? Will you see it regardless? Sound off below!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't watch The LEGO Movie yet... But It's really exciting... I know I'll love the first one. Like you, I am an animation lover...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn' watch it yet, but I know I'll love the first one. Like you, I'm an animation lover.

    ReplyDelete