Friday, June 27, 2014

Monster Mash


Ready to see Jaegers fight Kaiju again?

Pacific Rim 2 is a reality… Guillermo del Toro announced that the film is set to open on April 7, 2017. This time, the Kaiju and Jaegers will be kicking off the summer season rather than swimming in the middle of it. I feel this spot is better for the film, and hopefully - now that the film has a fan base behind it - Universal puts together a much better marketing campaign for it than Warner Bros. did with its predecessor. Even better, there will be an animated series to accompany it.


On first viewing, I liked Pacific Rim but then kind of forgot about it. Then I fell in love with it the second time around, it's now one of my favorites. I wouldn't call it a great movie by any stretch, it probably isn't, but damn I do believe it does its job quite well: Entertain like crazy! I love the concept, the way it's pulled off and the fact that it's just fun while having a decent story to tell. No forced grounded and gritty crap, either.

That being said, it was debated on whether the $190 million pet project was a flop or not. It took in over $400 million worldwide, as the overseas gross saved it from its rather paltry domestic gross. I mean, if a sequel was given the go-head, someone must be happy about it. It came as a real shock to me, but Universal/Legendary seems to have faith in projects like this. After all, Legendary poured millions into big risks. If anything, the people running that joint should be running Disney because their live action department has been dismissive of big risks and niche markets as of late.

Of course, after Godzilla did very well, it was confirmed that the second and third were ordered. Gareth Edwards will direct both, but since he's currently directing the 2016 Star Wars spin-off film, I think we'll have to wait till 2018 at the earliest to get Godzilla 2. I'm glad it's happening because I really enjoyed Godzilla despite the problems it has (bland human characters, some pacing issues in the middle), and also Godzilla sunk like a stone after its massive opening weekend. I guess audiences just didn't really like the King of the Monster's return to the silver screen, though my audience applaud four times when I saw it. But I heard of other audiences complaining about it after leaving the theater.

So Pacific Rim 2, Godzilla 2… What's next?

I'm hoping the success of these films leads to more monster movies getting made. One thing I'd love to see is a Cloverfield sequel, which J. J. Abrams has teased and/or mentioned for years. Even last year, he hinted at one being made. I know Cloverfield is over 6 years old, I know audiences didn't really like it, I know there probably isn't much demand for a sequel outside of the fan base but I really want one. It would be cool if - as suggested before - that it's about the attack from another camera-owner's point of view (remember we see someone else filming on the Brooklyn Bridge?), perhaps that camera owner got out of the city after the nukes were dropped. Maybe the monster's mother should show up, since the monster is a confused and frightened infant.

Problem is, after Cloverfield, J. J. Abrams got sucked up into space with Star Trek and its sequel, and now a galaxy far, far away. But he's not directing Star Wars Episode VIII or other future installments (Rian Johnson of Looper fame is directing the eighth one, and writing Episode IX), and I reckon he's a producer or something on the third Star Trek… But after Star Wars, will he return to smaller projects? Will he and perhaps director Matt Reeves take another crack at Cloverfield? I certainly hope so!

At the same time, we can see other classic monsters hit the big screen. There's a whole mine of them, from Gamera to the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. But I'd also like to see more original monsters too, and Pacific Rim had them. Tons of them!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyle! You are such amazing writer! Great and interesting text, it's pleasure to read this blog! :)
    By the way, could you please allow me to read The Extra Rambly Edition! Because I read it earlier and LOVED it! :)
    -Sims3Player/Sims3Pelaaja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle is indeed. I enjoy reading this blog as well.
    And yeah, I am excited about these news. I love Pacic Rim and Godzilla. What about World War Z sequel. It is not about machines or heros, but first one is a really good. Another films I am waiting for a sequel are the new versions of RoboCop and Total Recall. Did you like them?

    ReplyDelete