Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Speedy


A Sonic The Hedgehog film is now in the works…

Unfortunately, though I'm probably being unfair to it, it's going to be a live action/animation hybrid…

Look, this movie could turn out good, great, horrible, mediocre, whatever… But I've been looking forward to a movie based on the legendary blue hedgehog for a long while. Heck, when domain names were registered for a Sonic movie last year, I was hyped! Imagine seeing an animated Sonic movie where he tears through twists and turns, making you feel like you're rolling around the speed of sound? I'm sure this movie will have those kinds of thrills, but why live action?

Why does it have to be live actors interacting with animated Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, et al? I certainly hope Eggman won't be live action, his design is perfect for animation. You know what this could turn out like? Sonic The Hedgehog 2006… Ya know, Sonic & co. interacting with very realistic human beings. That's no fun, remember what Eggman looked like in that game? YIKES!


Yeah, I am happy that we are getting a Sonic movie… But I really wish that it was going to be all animated. The Sonic series lends itself perfectly to the medium, I mean a real-life Green Hill or whatever would be so boring unless they CGI it all up. It could be a sort of Avatar-like situation where pretty much everything around the characters and a majority of the characters themselves are digitally spruced up… But you'd still have live action humans and Robotnik, unless they get Andy Serkis to do a really good looking mocap Robotnik that looks like the real deal. C'mon, all animated please!

Also, I hope they don't go the Smurfs/SpongeBob 2 route where the characters end up in the real world or whatever. That's something we don't need, we need a cool, awesome-looking story set within Sonic's world. We need to see really cool environments come to life! No grounded and gritty approach either, Sonic is nothing like that.

What stories could they possibly use for the film? Well, I'm a huge fan of the 1998 installment Sonic Adventure, but I doubt they'll go back that far. Sonic '06 will probably be avoided, it'll probably be one of the newer games like Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Colors. Either that, or they'll come up with their own original story.

Who is making it? Marza Animation Planet, SEGA's computer animation house, will be providing the animation. It's a co-production with Original Film, that studio's founder Neal H. Moritz will produce alongside Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi from Marza. Evan Susser (writer of a 2013 short called The Zombie Solution) and Van Robichaux (who penned a short with Susser called Never Before Seen Phone Commercial) are providing the script, no director has been named yet.

I want to anticipate this, but at the same time I'm not too keen on the whole live action/CG thing. They could surprise me, I won't rule that out… But I'm a bit skeptical. Still… A Sonic The Hedgehog movie is being made!

What do you think? Do you think the hybrid approach will work? Do you wish this film will be all animated? Are you excited about a Sonic movie in general? Sound off below!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, that '06 Eggman is unreal.

    Well, let's keep an open mind. I was originally extremely skeptical when a CG Peanuts movie was announced, and then the teaser came out and, low and behold, it's now one of my most anticipated films for 2015. So let's wait and see what happens and hope for the best, because I agree, a Sonic movie has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like this. Of course, I didn't realize Sonic was a "thing" anymore (at least outside of DeviantArt), so I have no idea how big this movie's appeal is going to be. But it's bound to be a lot bigger than the Ratchet and Clank movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after this film, people will beg Disney to make a Sonic/Wreck-It Ralph crossover film.........ugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I have to say about this? It has potential. Marza Animation Planet will keep the character designs used in the games, but they'll be put in a live-action environment. I personally would like to see Sonic in Tokyo in this film.

    ReplyDelete