Thursday, September 25, 2014

Disney's Animated Superheroes


And here we go, the second full trailer for Walt Disney Animation Studios' Big Hero 6!


Taking cues from the later Frozen marketing from last autumn, Disney has put together a trailer that focuses on the story while still squeezing in enough comedy to make it look good to audiences (remember, as my Disney comrade Jim Miles said, it's got to have the "warm fuzzies" in order to appeal), though it is short on action and spectacle. We get glimpses of action, but I'd personally love to see a trailer where we get quite a bit of action. They already got the story and comedy in the first half or so, so I think they could've done it. (Think The Incredibles' trailers.) Also, I guess we can deem the Japanese trailer safe to watch now, because this trailer outright implies what happens to Tadashi. No spoilers.

That being said, it's sure to hook audiences who were big on Frozen. Extra points for mentioning Tangled in the trailer as well, and I think the emphasis on Baymax is pretty smart. That balloony white robot is a hit, and for a good reason. He's such an appealing character, a show-stealer to be exact. Me? I just love the glimpses at the more epic stuff, San Fransokyo looks amazing, the color work is astounding, and the animation itself - as per usual with Disney - looks wonderful. We also get some stuff on the other four members that make up Hiro and Baymax's crime-fighting team, and once again, tiny glimpses of the menacing Yokai.

Overall a pretty solid trailer, not the best in my eyes, but better than most trailers for animated films. I think it sells the picture quite well, I just personally wanted to see a little more spectacle to go with the story bits and the comedy. What matters most, however, is that the film looks fantastic!

Now we've recently gotten a lot of TV spots, too…




Again, I love the little glimpses that aren't in the other trailers. I also assume that we'll be getting a new poster soon, since other countries (such as the French one I featured here) are getting some very lovely-looking ones.

What did you think of the trailer? Are you anticipating Walt Disney Animation Studios' next event? Sound off below!

8 comments:

  1. They should have mentioned The Princess and the Frog in these trailers as well. Just my two cents. Other than that, the trailer for this movie is awesome!!! The film is my most anticipated of the year, and is by far Disney's most ambitious outing yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I can also sort of see why they didn't. The Princess and The Frog likely underperformed because it was seen as a "girl movie", and the target audience for Big Hero 6 seems to be boys. So Disney is trying to distance them in the public mind.

      Delete
  2. I posted this poll on a forum I'm a member of, and I was wondering what your response would be.
    When do you think that a MAJOR AMERICAN ANIMATION STUDIO will produce a FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL animated film rated PG-13 OR HIGHER that is NOT a COMEDY?
    With 5 years?
    Within 10 years?
    Within 15 years?
    Within 20 years?
    20 or more years from now?
    Or probably never?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic: 15 years. I think someone will finally get the chance to go against the grain one day.

      Delete
  3. Not related, but just want to hear ur opinion. Planes 2 grossed 138.7 million against a 50m budget. Is that a success or failure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made 3x its budget, so it's a success.

      Delete
    2. I have the same question about Wreck-it Ralph. It made $471 million on a $165 million budget.

      Delete
    3. 2.8x the budget. Success. As for both Ralph and Planes, merchandise might be factored in, too.

      Delete