Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Monster Party


This may have a been a year without a Pixar film, but their latest short - Monsters University toon Party Central - is a real treat!

Now as you may know, I did not see Muppets Most Wanted in theaters. The short was attached to that sequel to the 2011 film. Before Pixar's The Good Dinosaur was delayed from its planned summer 2014 release to fall 2015, this short was supposed to be attached to it. I was also a bit confused that it wasn't going to show up on the recent Blu-ray release of Toy Story of Terror, considering that it would be a perfect fit and also… What else would it appear on, home media-wise?

Luckily Disney Movies Anywhere has posted it, and if you have an account, you can watch it for free!

What did I think? I loved it. When Pixar does funny shorts, they usually succeed greatly. Party Central has great energy and a really cool storyline that's too precious to spoil. I heard that this was actually planned to be a whole sequence in Monsters University, but it was cut. I can only imagine why. Was it time constraints? In a way it would kind of slow down the story, but I think it would've been great because it shows us some real college antics and such. As much as I love Monsters U, I kind of wished there would be more college stuff and monster world spins on all those experiences we know. Instead, it's quickly brushed over in the film's rushed first act.

If the short was a whole deleted scene, then I guess it would've played out a little differently though, since this short seems to imply that Mike and Sulley have returned to MU to visit and help the Oozmas throw a great party. Maybe this party was supposed to occur sometime later in the movie, during the Scare Games when Mike and Sulley began to slowly get along. It probably would've taken the movie off of the course it was on, so I can see why it wouldn't make the cut. Pixar is meticulous about story and pacing, so they wouldn't throw in a sequence that would possibly have the film come to a halt when it was beginning to really progress.

In short, I loved it. It was very energetic, funny, clever, and it was great to see the MU characters again. If Disney wants to franchise the hell out of Monsters, Inc./Monsters U, I say Pixar make more shorts or a TV series, because I really do want to see more of the monster world itself, but I don't want another feature-length film. There's so much to explore here, and what lies beyond Monstropolis and the university.

Now I just hope the short is released on Blu-ray soon. Maybe it'll come with Inside Out, or maybe we'll have to wait for Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 3. Who knows! What did you think of the short?

No comments:

Post a Comment