Monday, November 24, 2014

DreamWorks' Aliens


A new trailer has surfaced for DreamWorks' Home, and just in time for the release of Penguins of Madagascar on Wednesday...


You know what? I actually liked this trailer! I was not a fan of the previous one that DreamWorks rolled out in June, but I think this one actually makes the movie look like it's worth seeing. Definitely not perfect and still a little fast and zippy for my tastes, but it's not as obnoxious as the other one in my opinion, and this time I'm interested in the characters and the story. Shocker! I think that's what a trailer should do - get you into the story and characters, as opposed to throwing jokes and stuff in your face all the time.

The little glimpses of future Earth are very cool, and the visuals and art direction in general, dare I say it, are up there with the best-looking DreamWorks films. I also like the Boov's home world, and the brief peek at their enemies. From the looks of it, there will be a lot of action as well. The tech and stuff is also neat. It's just very colorful and pretty to look at; in a visual sense it really reminds me of The Croods. DreamWorks is no slouch when it comes to visuals, even in movies of theirs that I considered disappointing. The Croods was one of those films, but I at least remember the great art direction and color work.

So the visuals, art direction and color work already have my attention. The story itself seems pretty cool, despite the fact that it's about a creature from another world coming to Earth. But I think DreamWorks will give us a fresh spin on that kind of story (to be fair, this is based on a book) thanks to the future Earth that they brought to life here, and everything else. The comedy should work too. I actually laughed at a few bits, but that urinal joke at the end... Seriously? Also, Madagascar did it before and better nearly 10 years ago. ("Free mints!")

On the whole, I'm now looking forward to DreamWorks' first 2015 release. It seems surprising because I had very little excitement for the film prior to this trailer, but I kept telling myself, "It could be great, you never know." Years of bad trailers of course have shown me that a movie could be good regardless of what's in the previews. I hope that's the case with this film, but I did like this trailer.

Above all, I hope it's a hit for DreamWorks. They need it. I just wish the movie was called Happy Smekday!, though...

What did you think of the trailer? Are you looking forward to this film? Sound off below!

1 comment:

  1. Is it just me, or does the cat look just like Big Hero 6's "Hairy Baby"?

    ReplyDelete