Friday, November 28, 2014

Do You Wanna Make a Sequel? [UPDATE]


Well hello all, hoping you all had a great Thanksgiving and such... Today, it looks like those pesky "Frozen sequel" rumors have surfaced yet again...

This time, Idina Menzel herself seems to have confirmed that a Frozen sequel is in the cards...

When asked about the stage musical, short film AND possible sequel, Menzel said... "They're all in the works, ha ha!"

The Guardian then said that she was asked if she was signed up for all of those things, she replied, "Ah, yeah sure… Not the stage show – I don’t know what will happen with that – but the movie hopefully. We’ll see. I’m just going along for the ride."

Of course, a lot of you know my stance on sequels and Walt Disney Animation Studios doing sequels. Personally, I'd prefer if the studio did sequels to Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 whilst leaving the fairy tales alone, but of course we can't forget that Frozen is the fifth highest grossing film of all time and everything it has spawned from merchandise to soundtracks has dominated. Frozen is still everywhere...

It's very possible that the good people at Disney Animation have a new story to tell that they feel is great, but it might be more likely that Bob Iger and the money people urged the studio to make a sequel. A short film and some sequel books probably aren't enough, especially if said movie grossed over $1 billion at the box office and people are still raving about it. (Now if only they'd let it go and start obsessing over Big Hero 6, that would be nice.)

I tend to assume that the studios have a lot of integrity, which is why I found it hard to believe that Pixar would ever make a Toy Story 4. But now look, Toy Story 4 is a reality and John Lasseter says he and his Brain Trust buddies got a great idea for the story back in 2012 that they couldn't resist. I felt Walt Disney Animation Studios would only tackle a Frozen 2 if they really had a good story in hand. Again, that could be the case if a sequel is coming. Or it could be a typical case of "Make another one guys! Money don't grow on trees!"

Walt Disney Animation Studios has a very sparse crop of sequels, for many different reasons. Times have changed now; John Lasseter did away with not-made-at-WDAS direct-to-video sequels and Iger loves franchises. It really makes one wonder, had The Rescuers Down Under not underperformed in 1990, would Michael Eisner have commissioned Disney Animation to make theatrical sequels to Aladdin and The Lion King among other hits?

Of course, no one would pass up a sequel to a billion dollar smash. The only non-sequel $1 billion grosser that won't ever get a sequel is Titanic, for obvious reasons. Everything else though... Avatar, Alice in Wonderland... Even if some stories have concluded, such as Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, studios still find away to keep the source material in the pictures. That's why we're getting a DC Cinematic Universe with an all-new Batman showing up in less than 2 years. It's why The Hobbit trilogy exists. It's why we're getting a Fantastic Beasts trilogy, and so on...

At this point, we do have to accept that Disney is a lot different these days. I can only imagine if Toy Story 4 would've happened had there been someone else in charge, and had Toy Story 3 made significantly less than $1 billion worldwide.

It is very possible that Idina just sort of said it, assuming it was coming because of how big the first film was, similar to the Tom Hanks/Toy Story 4 thing back in 2011. Lasseter says they got the idea for the fourth film back in 2012. You'd think Disney wouldn't allow those rumors to slip through cracks, let alone have a leading actor from said film let it slip. Then again, Rich Moore excitedly talked about doing a Wreck-It Ralph sequel years ago and composer Henry Jackman said a story for the sequel is being written.

So... Is Frozen 2 happening? The realist in me in says, "Uhhh... Yeah! The first one made a billion and Disney is a corporation, of course it's happening!" The hopeful optimist in me says, "Disney Animation will only make one if they want to make one, and corporate Disney will respect those wishes... But they most likely won't make one."

Do I want one, personally? No. I'm going to be brutally honest. Not at all. If one has to come, I'll of course give it a chance, I don't play that way when it comes to animation sequels. I'm not anticipating Toy Story 4, but I have no idea if it's going to be great or not. I can't time travel to summer 2017 and come back to tell you all if it's good or not. I thought the Toy Story series ended perfectly with the third film, and from there I said, "No Toy Story 4, please. Thank you." But now it's official and set in stone, so all I've been thinking is, "You never know..."

The same applies to a Frozen sequel. I never wanted one, but if it's official and set in stone (and by that I mean Disney outright confirming it), I'll wait and see how it's received and how it turns out. I'm in the minority, I didn't think Frozen was the grand champion of all animated films. I didn't even think it was anywhere near Disney's best, I think it's a decent, entertaining film with its fair share of problems. I prefer all of the other Lasseter-era Disney Animation films, to be honest. Yes I know, this is a big shocker and I probably angered a good half of the world by saying that, but hey... We're all entitled to our opinions, right? No. We aren't! This is the Internet! I forgot, silly me.

Anyways, do you think it's happening? Or not? Do you want a Frozen sequel? Sound off below!

UPDATE (12/2/2014): Idina has spoken!

When they asked her about the sequel again, she said:

"You know, I have no idea. I just assume because it’s so successful that that’s what they’re up to."

Looks like I was right about something, but...

This doesn't necessarily mean that Disney Animation will not ever make a second Frozen. However, right now, we don't know if it's in the cards or not. It all depends... Either the Burbank studio comes up with a good idea for a sequel themselves, corporate Disney forces them to do it, or it does not happen at all.

If anything, I think we'll be hearing the official announcement of Wreck-It Ralph 2 first.

2 comments:

  1. I would much prefer a sequel to wreck-it Ralph, a superior film. In my opinion Ralph is the 3rd best film in the canon. Frozen is 7th at best with a huge drop in quality from 4-5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wreck it ralph and big hero 6 should have sequels not frozen, in my opinion...but I'd give a frozen sequel a shot of course

    ReplyDelete