Friday, November 21, 2014

Strange...


The trailer for Lucasfilm Animation's Strange Magic is here...


I'm going to be honest, I did not like this trailer one bit. I see a lot of other people haven't, either. It's not the visuals, it's not the look of the film either. For one thing, I like the visual direction this film is going in. I mean, Gary Rydstrom is directing, that should be something to look forward to! Once they unveiled the title, plot synopsis, and first image, I was stoked!

So what don't I like? The writing, plain and simple. All the jokes? Lame. Jokes everywhere. The way they all talked and acted, it just took me out of the fantasy setting. It really did. This was one of those typical animated movie trailers that is just loud, confusing to me, and it doesn't make the movie look like it's worth seeing. And that's sad, because it looks like they've created a cool fantasy setting here and I'm curious to see how they'll integrate songs from the past into its story. (A cover of the 60s classic 'Wild Thing', the most famous version being The Troggs' 1966 recording, is used in this trailer.)

It's a shame too, because apparently Gary Rydstrom and Irene Mecchi (who helped write the likes of The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Brave!) wrote the script. The other writer is David Berenbaum, who gave us Elf... I guess we can blame Lucas, I don't know.

Okay, I will say this... The movie itself could be decent, good even. I have no idea, I can't travel to January and come back and say if it's good or not. But damn, that trailer doesn't make it look good, that's for sure.

What do you think? Did you like this trailer? Or not?

2 comments:

  1. Seriously? THIS is the first movie Lucasfilm is releasing under Disney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty I feel like it was rushed. The quality is great but the writing is the high risk that might kill this movie big time.

    ReplyDelete