Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Minion Madness: Thoughts on the New 'Minions' Trailer


The new trailer for Minions is here...

And surprisingly, I got a kick out of it!


For a while I was skeptical of the film. The early teasers were certainly enjoyable, but how can the Minions carry a whole film? I also wasn't thrilled with Despicable Me 2, which made me wonder a bit. However, this new trailer was pretty good and I'm now actually pretty excited about this spin-off.

It seems like it'll have that zany humor and inventiveness that made the first Despicable Me so enjoyable, but hopefully it has the same heart and storytelling too. I felt the second film didn't have a strong story, and something about it... I don't know. I found the whole thing to be forgettable, which wasn't the case with numero uno. Nothing really... Stuck out. I don't even remember it being zany or over-the-top, maybe in some places it was, but on the whole I just can't remember much about it. I remember all the cool stuff from the first, but barely anything from two. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

That being said, it looks like a lot of fun. The new face they're working for looks like a show stealer (the bedtime story bit is priceless! Plus... Stop motion!), and when ever does Sandra Bullock voice animated characters? I think the only other animated film she was in was The Prince of Egypt!

I also like the fact that there's a villain con, that's very clever stuff. The 1968 setting is interesting too, out of all the eras they could choose. Let's just hope it makes good use of 60s music, instead of just having it for the sake of having it.

What did you think of this trailer? Are you looking forward to this film? Sound off below!

1 comment:

  1. DM2 also disappointed me. It was fun and had its moments, but like you said, was largely forgettable (I still cannot comprehend how the Academy picked it over Monsters University last year). This, however, I get more excited for with each trailer. I like that they chose to focus on just three Minions as opposed to the whole lot of them, it should make for a better story. Hopefully this is more along the lines of the first Despicable Me and has actual substance beneath all the laughs. Can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete