Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Good Teaser


It's finally here! The teaser for the other Pixar film that's coming out this year, The Good Dinosaur!

I got to admit, this came as a surprise because I had assumed that it wouldn't be ready until the week Inside Out opens. I saw that the trailer was classified, and I thought, "So it will be debuting before Inside Out", but then last night out of nowhere I saw it mentioned on Twitter. I was thinking, "Wait, it's coming tomorrow?!"

And so it happened... We got the teaser earlier than expected!


In my opinion, this is one of the best Pixar teasers yet...

Pixar's teasers often introduce the concepts of their films in a humorous way, showing a short scene that's not going to be in the finished film. They've been doing this since A Bug's Life, however 2008's WALL-E was a real break from the norm. Instead of a gag, we had director/Pixar wizard Andrew Stanton introducing the concept and talking about the legendary lunch that Pixar had in 1994 that birthed the ideas that would later become A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and their space epic... Brave's teaser some four years later was also different. No jokes or anything, just lovely scenery of the Scottish highlands, an ominous narration, and Merida encountering Mor'du, firing an arrow at him. What a teaser that was!

This teaser follows a similar path, but I'm thinking that all of this footage is definitely going to be in the film. This teaser has a montage rather than a short sequence, a really unorthodox Pixar teaser to say the least! The use of a montage is what caught me off guard at first. However, I like what they're going for with it. I like the glimpses of the setting, the other dinosaurs they'll meet, and how amazing the visuals look. That scene of the brontos and the Hadrosaurids eating while the meteor misses the Earth is stunning... Also, check out some of the foliage. Some pretty unique design work there!

It's Pixar, what more can I say in terms of the visuals and how it looks?

Despite being very short, the teaser works wonders and does a fine job establishing the premise in the first minute. I've been anticipating this since the concept was brought up many years, and even though it's been through a lot, I'm still very excited to see what direction they'll go with this particular story.

What did you think of the teaser?

2 comments:

  1. "I got to admit, this came as a surprise because I assumed that it wouldn't be ready until Inside Out opens"
    I know right? I mean, it's not like there's some major movie about dinosaurs coming out next week that everyone and their grandma is going to. How strange! ;)

    Anyway, I'm not really a huge fan of the visuals. Now, it doesn't look horrible, but it's very juxtaposed. The cartoony dinosaurs look amazing and the photorealistic backgrounds are incredible...but that's the problem. Despite their beauty, the two of them just don't blend well for me. Either they go all-cartoony like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, or go photo-realistic like Walking with Dinosaurs.

    I'm not sure why it bothers me, but I guess it's because it's a teaser with no footage for me to really dissect and take in the style, so it's probably a little nitpick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I never considered 'Jurassic World' because it's less of a family film (regardless of being about dinos), and with Pixar's next debuting weekend after, but what do I know? haha.

    As for the visuals, I myself didn't mind the blend, but I would like to see Pixar aim for a more cartoony aesthetic without going for the photo-realism/naturalism. But like you said, should work better in the finished film since this is only a teaser. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete