Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Raging Bird: 'Angry Birds Movie' Teaser Arrives


Just in time for the release of Sony Animation's Hotel Transylvania 2 this coming Friday, the teaser for The Angry Birds Movie has dropped...


A Sony ImageWorks/Rovio co-production, I was actually curious about this film for a little while. While a film based on a simple, once hot-selling game is kinda the last thing American mainstream animation needs when we can be trying a little harder, I always found myself kind of being interested in this. Maybe it's because I actually do like the games a lot, and each new detail of the movie actually gave me some hope: Two animation veterans (Clay Katis and Fergall Reilly) directing, impressive-looking stills, and now... This teaser.

Not a great teaser by any means, but the movie does look like it could be giddy fun. Me, personally, I wanted to see more mayhem where the birds go after the pigs, but I guess we'll have to wait for the full trailer to see that action. There are a few funny bits here, such as the bomb bird's surprise party going awry and the conveyor belt not working properly. My only complaint is that they spent the last half of the trailer with one long, drawn-out joke. Again, I wanted to see a glimpse of the birds fighting the pigs!

Anyways, yes I'm actually somewhat looking forward to this. It has good talent behind it, has nice animation and cool redesigns of the game's avian characters, and this teaser has the laughs. I don't expect it to move mountains, I don't expect it to be on the level of something like Inside Out or How To Train Your Dragon 2, I just want it to be super fun in a good way, not the "it babysat your kids, you chuckled a few times, we got your money" way. I think an animated film can be straight up fun and still be very good, some recent examples being the madcap Madagascar 3 and the entertaining Rio. For me personally, a lot of other more light-as-a-feather animated films aren't fun because they don't seem to be allowed to go all out and end up just being kiddie. Let's hope Angry Birds isn't just that...

What did you think of the teaser? Do you think an Angry Birds movie can work? Sound off below!

1 comment:

  1. after Frozen, Josh Gad seems to have tons of roles lol.
    I personally am not a fan of the trailer. i dont find it funny, or sad, or sympathetic, or anything really. everything's just...there...

    ReplyDelete