Monday, November 23, 2015

A Sloth's Pace: Hilarious 'Zootopia' Full Trailer Debuts


With Pixar's The Good Dinosaur right around the corner, the full trailer for Walt Disney Animation Studios' next film, a spring 2016 release, is finally here!

I want to get one thing out of the way, I wish the trailer showed more of the world this movie takes place in... This trailer is more like a scene from the film, similar to the trailer that Pixar made for Brave that showed an edited version of the archery tournament sequence. That trailer was following in the footsteps of the full sequence trailers that Disney made for their animated films in the 90s/early 00s, such as The Lion King, Pocahontas, and Dinosaur.

The one glimpse they show of the city itself - or rather a section of it - is pretty cool, though!


The scene they show here is the one that was shown at Cannes, D23, and the like... The DMV that's run by sloths, and oh man, it's pretty funny I must say...

Very rarely does an American trailer for an animated film ever make me laugh a lot, but this one did it. Towards the end was when it really got me. If you've been here before, you'll know that I was onboard this movie since the day Blue Sky Disney leaked information on it. When the concept was revealed at the 2013 D23 Expo, I was more than sold. A cool, new twist on the anthropomorphic animals-only world premise that's been done before in animation (i.e. Robin Hood, Kung Fu Panda, et al.), it's also going to be an action-packed buddy cop comedy. I want me some pulse-pounding action in a Disney animated film! Plus, it's directed by the incredibly talented Byron Howard (Bolt, Tangled) and Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph), with a script by Wreck-It Ralph's Phil Johnston and Penn-Zero co-creator Jared Bush.

Actually, out of all the American animated films coming out next year, this is my most anticipated one. I'm sure others are saying Disney Animation's own Moana is the one they want to see the most, or maybe Finding Dory, or maybe something like Kung Fu Panda 3 or LAIKA's next stop-motion film Kubo and the Two Strings. Nope, Zootopia's tops on my list. As I've said here many times before, it's great that Disney Animation is not only making quality films on a consecutive basis, but they're mixing it up a bit. Unlike the 90s, we're not getting the same thing year after year. Frozen will be three years old by the time big epic musical Moana comes out, and inbetween those two films we got the superhero action tale Big Hero 6 and this action-comedy!

This is partially the reason why I'm anticipating Zootopia more than Moana. I'm sure Moana will be all kinds of amazing and will be the bigger film at the box office, but from the outside it looks like yet another 90s-style Disney animated film. Not that that is a bad thing, but I love it when Burbank tries new things. New things like Meet The Robinsons, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, this. Stuff that shows that Disney is more than just huge musicals and fairy tales. I think some forget that Walt himself didn't follow a formula, all of his animated features were different and unique. Lasseter's Disney isn't repeating itself, either.

I'm sure this trailer has gotten mixed reactions across the board, but I think it'll work on audiences. I remember how people online hated the Frozen teaser with Olaf and Sven on ice, but when I saw that in the theaters, the audience howled with laughter. I bet Zootopia's criticized teaser was the same deal: Internet wasn't big on it, audiences liked it. If I get a full house on The Good Dinosaur on Wednesday, I'll get an idea on how this trailer will fare and how the film itself will do...

What did you think of the trailer? Are you anticipating Zootopia? Sound off below!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I'm really looking forward to this one and, like you good sir, I'm also anticipating this more than 'Moana'.

    ReplyDelete