Sunday, November 8, 2015

It's A Success, Charlie Brown!: 'Peanuts' Opens With a Good $45M


To the surprise of no one, the long-awaited big screen return of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the gang took off on opening weekend...

The Peanuts Movie did quite well for itself, especially against James Bond. The film collected a pretty good (estimated) $45 million on its opening weekend. Blue Sky Studios is usually very smart with their budgets, as The Peanuts Movie is no exception. The adaptation of the iconic comic strip cost them $99 million to make, so that'll be making bank in no time.

I do wonder though... What if it wasn't released against SPECTRE? Would it have opened a little higher? Some people usually say something along the lines of "Well, [x] movie is for kids, the other is aiming at a completely different demographic."

Alas, that isn't entirely true. A studio like Blue Sky makes animated features for the whole family, everyone from the kiddies to the gramps. The filmmakers themselves would tell you no differently. I find it a little weird that a movie based on such a well-known entity (I mean, who does not know at least one character? Whether it's Charlie Brown or Snoopy?) would open with this amount, and my guess is that if it had a whole weekend to itself... Maybe it would've opened a little higher.

The new Bond, of course, being a live-action PG-13 blockbuster and a follow-up to a film that made over $300 million domestically, was going to get more crowds. Especially if a ton of moviegoers had to pick one movie for the weekend... but I suppose it's not worth fretting about because Peanuts has a lot of time to itself until Pixar unleashes their dino picture later on in the month. It's already a hit, so why fuss? Well, that's just me...

I expect Peanuts to haul a 3.8x multiplier for the time being, meaning that it'll end up grossing over $170 million domestically. With strong reviews, perhaps the picture will perform even better. There's another pesky belief going around that when a new animated feature opens, the one that's currently playing will be destroyed. Cannibalization!

But look... Hotel Transylvania 2 - losing nearly 700 screens this weekend, and being out for over a month - dipped only 39% this weekend, as opposed to something like 55% or higher. Family-friendly Goosebumps took a tiny tumble, too, only dropping 29%... Cannibalization indeed.

So yeah, maybe Peanuts has a shot at cracking $200 million stateside. I'll be happy, it's said to be this studio's best film and a film that's very respectful to the source material. Maybe its success will tell other execs that, hey! Maybe audiences want to see respectful takes on classic, iconic characters! Wait till the new Chipmunks movie comes out, it's not going to open well, guaranteed. Hopefully that occurrence will ram the point home.

I'm hoping to see it soon, the problem is I've been super-busy so I haven't been able to catch up on flicks. I'm woefully behind here: I was planning to see The Martian, Sicario, The Walk, Steve Jobs, Crimson Peak, and Everest. Sadly, I haven't been able to see any of those. I actually haven't seen a movie in theaters since early August. Pretty bad, right? Hopefully I get to see Peanuts before the rush...

What did you think of the film? What do you think of its opening weekend gross? How do you think it'll perform in the coming weeks/months? Sound off below!

4 comments:

  1. Peanuts fans seem to be giving it very good reviews and I think it will reach around 190 million domestically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie. If you're a fan of the original comic strip, you're in for a real treat. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the film this weekend. As a peanuts fan, I hope it'll be a success for weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw it on Saturday and absolutely loved it. It's right up there with Inside Out in terms of my favorite movies of this year. It perfectly captured the essence of the characters while still feeling fresh and had me smiling from start to finish. Blue Sky knocked it out of the park with this one, I hope it continues to do well!

    ReplyDelete