Thursday, January 28, 2016

Teasing? Or Trolling? Teaser For DreamWorks' 'Trolls' Debuts [UPDATE]


A teaser for DreamWorks' Trolls has finally come, and just in time for Kung Fu Panda 3's release tomorrow.

Based on the Good Luck Troll dolls that everyone knows, Trolls will be the second and last DreamWorks film of the year. The first that will be part of their lower budget plan, where new features won't cost anymore than $120 million... Which is still too damn much if you ask me.


The teaser is... Well... A teaser. I didn't like it, but I don't know if the tone of it will be an indicator of what the movie will be like. I'm so used to animated movie teasers not representing the quality of the films themselves, so I wouldn't rule it out with Trolls. That being said, I have my doubts. This film is going to be a musical, right? I sincerely hope they won't be singing modern pop-like songs that just date the heck out of the movie. I mean, really, 'Watch Me Whip'? This teaser is pretty much a stereotype of American animation: Cutesy characters dancing to pop songs.

It's also interesting to note that it begins with "From the creators of Shrek", rather than more recent hit franchises like Kung Fu Panda, How To Train Your Dragon, or Madagascar. I guess they want to inform audiences that the film will go back to that snarky, up-to-date attitude? The tone of the movie that kinda started this pop culture joke overload avalanche to begin with? I don't know.

Other than all that, the troll designs aren't doing much for me. I kind of wished they kept the big saucer-plate eyes, which is one of the things that I think makes the dolls appealing to begin with. Anyways, I hope the movie's alright, I won't assume much based on this teaser. More than anything, I just want it to do well. DreamWorks, being the studio they are, can't take money-losers. The steep downs of the last three years were enough.

What did you think of the teaser? Do you think it's an indicator of what the film will be like? Sound off below!

UPDATE (1/29/2016)

Context is everything.

My Rotoscoper comrade Max den Hartog found these tweets by a DreamWorks story artist who is working on the film...


Just as I suspected. Marketing at its best. Interesting that they begged the department not to go that route, not dissimilar to them urging Fox marketing not to spoil the big reveal of How To Train Your Dragon 2 in that film's trailers, but they did anyway. But hey, if the movie opens with $40 million+ domestically, I'll be darned.

I just find it bizarre that they'd want to go back that mid-2000s hip attitude for the marketing, especially after Fox's own Alvin and the Hipmunks 4... Well... Flopped. (Sure, Star Wars killed it, but let's be honest. If Star Wars didn't open the same day, would it have even made anymore than $15 million on opening weekend? Interested waned when the third one came out in 2011.)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what the movie "actually" looks like. Also... Fox... You're really going to stick with that 11/4/2016 release date? C'mon, mid-October is free, animation and family film-wise!

3 comments:

  1. I hoping this trailer is no indication of how the movie will be like, but in my opinion, this is a terrible first impression. It encapsulates everything that annoys people about DreamWorks. All I can say is that they better stick the landing next time or else this could be another major bomb for the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! That looks terrible! I hope Moana beats that terrible movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know if it's going to be terrible or not. Like I said in the update, one of the people from DreamWorks is telling us that the teaser does not represent the movie in any way, and that it's all the marketing department's doing. I also want the movie to do well ('Moana' will easily outgross it, nothing to worry about), regardless of how it turns out, because DreamWorks has been hit with enough flops.

      Delete