Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Big Wave: First Full Trailer for 'Kubo and the Two Strings' Debuts


It's been a little over a month since LAIKA and Focus Features rolled out the teaser for the studio's next stop-motion feature Kubo & the Two Strings, and now a proper full trailer is out!


Like I said about the teaser, it looks like LAIKA has pulled out all the stops with this film. The epic story, rooted in Japanese folklore and containing lots of supernatural elements, looks like it has been given its due, it appears that the film will be LAIKA's biggest yet. The new trailer is refreshing, in that it simply uses imagery to give you an idea of what the film will be like. It doesn't give much on the story, but that's okay by me. The cover of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', I think, is lovely. I wonder if... Actually, I hope that very instrumental rendition of the George Harrison-penned Beatles masterpiece will be used in the final film...

I also like that Kubo is going to be accompanied by creatures, such as a monkey and beetle samurai. Some of the bits also show that it'll probably not shy away from the darker stuff that we saw in Coraline and ParaNorman. Perhaps my only gripe is that the cast is A-listers, I think they should've cast Japanese actors, but I guess I'm asking for too much - even from a smaller studio like LAIKA. Hopefully the cast they have will knock it out of the park. As evidenced by this trailer, they probably will. LAIKA usually never falters when it comes to the casting.

Other than that, what else is there to say? LAIKA is one of the best animation studios currently making pictures, as Coraline and ParaNorman are masterpieces in every way, from the visuals to the storytelling. The Boxtrolls is a simply good, solid feature, but a delightfully quirky and oddball one. Kubo looks to be their epic. I'll be surprised if the budget on this one is the same as the previous films they have made. The other reason why LAIKA is so great is because they're taking stop-motion in exciting new directions and are innovating with the medium, on top of being a studio that doesn't have to worry about tie-in deals and $150-million marketing campaigns.

Basically, "a new LAIKA film" is enough to get me to shout "Shut up and take my money!"

What did you think of the trailer? Sound off below!

No comments:

Post a Comment