Monday, January 25, 2016

Toy Tidbit: Andy's Mom To Appear in 'Toy Story 4'


According to the voice of Andy's mother herself, Laurie Metcalf, the character will appear in Toy Story 4.

She confirmed this in an interview on Watch What Happens Live, and no further details were revealed. Toy Story 4 is a bit fun and frustrating to speculate about, personally. I'm not against the idea of a fourth one, so long as it's great and worthy of the trilogy. However, the more I hear about this film, the more I kind of worry.

The film, as revealed this past August at the fourth D23 Expo, will be about Woody and Buzz setting off on a road trip-like adventure to find Woody's love Bo Peep. Bo, a porcelain lamp that belonged to Andy's younger sister Molly when she was baby, was sold/donated between the events of Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3. Though it's briefly mentioned in that film's first act, you still get the idea. Woody's heartbroken without her and still hasn't come to terms with it, and I'm glad that the filmmakers wrote her out that way.

Most of Toy Story 3 deals with the unpleasant realities of growing up, and the things you lose over time. Inside Out is not dissimilar, in that memories disappear for good in the memory dump. Monsters University smacks a big reality check (especially on younger audiences) with its ending where Mike doesn't become a scarer. In Up, Carl never gets to fulfill his dreams the way he wanted to, and ultimately loses the house at the end. Those are just a few examples. This is the stuff that Pixar is praised and applauded for, and I think having Bo come back in the fourth one could possibly negate Toy Story 3's emotional core, if not the entire trilogy. Sometimes it doesn't go the way the heroes want it to go...


It has been confirmed a while back that the story will not take place between deux and tre, though a bittersweet story where Woody tries his hardest not to lose Bo would've made for a great midquel if you ask me... And a nice segue right into Toy Story 3.

Maybe somehow, the plot will work in the end and I'll look back on this post (and several others I did about this movie), and eat crow. I'll gladly anticipate that. Outside of Cars 2, I admired all of Pixar's sequels, so I wouldn't put it past them to surprise me. Maybe the fourquel won't end the way I expect it to, maybe they'll come up with a good reason to have her back.

Anyways, what kind of role will Andy's mother have? I have a feeling it'll either be a cameo, a flashback, or something very, very minor. Perhaps she knows someone who has the Bo lamp? Or "a" Bo lamp? (Imagine that, Woody going through all that just to find out that it was never the Bo he loved.) So much to ask, and I'm glad Pixar's mystery boxing it.

What do you think? Are you okay with the direction Toy Story 4 is going to go in? Or not? Sound off below!

1 comment:

  1. They have successfully made the best trilogy of all time so why not best quadrilogy of all time?

    ReplyDelete