Monday, February 15, 2016

1st Note: First Teaser for 'Sing' Debuts


Wisely getting things going this early on, Universal has released a teaser for Illumination's upcoming holiday season release Sing!

Directed by Garth Jennings (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), Sing is one of two films that Illumination is releasing this year (a first for them, no less). It is the one I found to be the more interesting project. Secret Life of Pets looks like a fun little spin on a premise we've all heard before that seems to have a few obligatory kid-flick cliches, Sing is about a singing contest set in a world where it's just anthropomorphic animals. Jennings is an interesting choice for a director, and going by this teaser, the project looks quite different from Pets, and most of Illumination's films, which I think is good.


The teaser doesn't go for worldbuilding, unlike the marketing for Disney Animation's film set in a similar world, Zootopia. The teaser instead does its job, it just outright says "This is about animals competing in a singing contest!" It's a little fast and frenetic for my taste, but I'm used to that in North American animation marketing. The footage is alright, it's not yellow screaming things running around or anything similar to that, which again, is good. It wasn't enough to really grab me, but I'll give it time. A teaser is a teaser, and I was onboard after hearing what the idea for the film was. The animation style, which is indeed Illumination's appealing house style, is very good. I particularly like the character designs, but I do want to see more of the setting.

Anyways, it's a solid start and it's good that Universal - usually spot on with animation marketing these days - has the teaser out already.

What did you think of the teaser?

8 comments:

  1. I thought it was funny, but it could've done without the twerking bunnies! First, Norm of the North, then Trolls, and now this. I blame Miley for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, out of the 85 or so songs that will be in the film, they of course had to go for the more recent/the most hip ones, hopefully the teaser gets people interested anyway.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. Miley Cyrus must be punished!

      Delete
    3. I agree. I now believe Miley Cyrus has just destroyed her career.

      Delete
  2. Should have stuck with the Woody Woodpecker movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder how remembered will all these animated films be in the future. Will Despicable Me become a classic? Who knows. Maybe.
    But from what I'm seeing from Illumination, all their films focused more on monetary gains than critical gains or legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting thing to think about... I can imagine 'Despicable Me' being something of a 'Shrek' in 10-15 years, where it's still liked but it isn't as highly regarded as say a praised Pixar film or a Disney classic. I think 'Kung Fu Panda' and 'How To Train Your Dragon', among other good DW films, could stand the test of time.

      Delete
  4. Universal knows about marketing,
    I thougt that this movie will bomb because they will release the first trĂ¡iler with pets, not like the good dinosaur that only got 6 months of marketing, this one had 10

    ReplyDelete