Monday, February 22, 2016

In The Chair: Directors for 'Cars 3' and 'Incredibles 2' Announced [UPDATE]


Disney lowkey announced the directors of two Pixar sequels via their BuzzFeed clone Oh My Disney...

To the shock of no one, Brad Bird is directing The Incredibles 2. I'm surprised it took them this long to confirm that. The thought of someone else doing it was kind of a troubling thought to me, so I’m glad Bird’s going back to Metroville. Bird is also writing the picture, as previously announced.

Cars 3 will be directed by Dan Scanlon, who gave us Monsters University. I think this is a great choice. Why? Despite what the Internet says, I like the monster prequel a great deal and I think Mr. Scanlon proved himself a worthy director with that film. Scanlon was a story artist on the first Cars as well, and directed the home media short Mater and the Ghost Light. He's a Cars mainstay of sorts, so I'm happy the threequel is his newest project.

The late Dan Gerson wrote (or helped write) the screenplay. Gerson was a writer on Monsters, Inc., and the prequel too. He co-wrote the prequel with Robert L. Baird, he would later re-team with him for Big Hero 6 up at Team Burbank. Makes me wonder if Baird co-wrote Cars 3.

The other cool thing about this is, the project gives Scanlon something to do before he moves onto his previously-announced original project that should open next decade. I think with these people attached, the fact that it spent years in development, and the fact that the story will go back to what made Cars work, this should at least be an improvement over Cars 2. A film I don't dislike anyway, so yes, this is good news to me. If you've been here for a while, you'll know that I think the first Cars is a great Pixar film and I don't have an ounce of contempt for the series. I know, I know, it's not chic, but hey...

Speaking of the film, here's something of a first look at the film that was snapped by UK toy distributor Hansl Toys at the Nuremberg Toy Fair a few weeks ago...


As for The Incredibles 2? Not much to say, because Bird directing was a given. I already explained many times before why a second Incredibles has so much potential, plus it would be a nice alternative to the Marvel, Fox/Marvel, and DC film franchises. When the first Incredibles came out in 2004, it was pretty different from the films that were dominating the superhero movie landscape at the time. When put next to today's output, it's still different from them. More of that, again, would add some more flavor to the big superhero movie sandwich.

Though I don't pick favorites, The Incredibles is the very Pixar that blew me away the most. On top of having just perfect storytelling, a tight structure and script, and a groovy atmosphere and tone, it is perhaps Pixar's most adult-oriented feature, being one of their few films to get a PG rating and a rare post-90s animated film that actually deserves its rating. It was like a real jolt to the animation scene, and it's still amazing and fresh today. More of that is more than welcome, but that's not the only reason why The Incredibles 2 happening is such a good thing. The film set up a compelling world of superheroes and then some, so to see more of that will also be very exciting.

Rambling aside, Cars 3 comes out June 16, 2017, The Incredibles 2 is set for June 21, 2019. It's good to know who's directing them. What do you think of this news?

UPDATE [2/23/2016]: Looks like Oh My Disney's staff made a mistake. Dan Scanlon is NOT directing Cars 3... They just took it off their article.

I guessed they took the IMDb page info for the movie as fact. Anyone can edit IMDb, and Pixar and Disney still have yet to say who is directing the Cars threequel anyways, even though it's a full year away. I mean, I still think it could be Scanlon since Monsters University was completed three years ago, but they removed the mention so I guess he's really not directing it.

Then who could it be? My best guess at this rate is Cars Toons director Rob Gibbs. Who knows! We should know soon, though...

2 comments:

  1. I think that on the interview with Jim Morris there was a type mistake and he never said that Dan Scanlon was doing an ORIGINAL film
    Sometimes that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well afther all it was a type mistake of oh My disney ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete