Sunday, March 20, 2016

Everyone Wins: Box Office Report - 'Zootopia' Stays #1, 'Anomalisa' Expands a Bit, and More


Zootopia's performance really is something else at this point.

I had a feeling it would beat out the latest Divergent, due to the middling reception the last one got, the bad reception this new installment got, and the sort of "who gives a damn" mood towards the franchise. The base - small as it may be - was still there, but it only ended up making an estimated $29 million. Zootopia by contrast circled $40 million, with an estimated $38 million. The actual numbers may be higher, but right now that's an extremely good 25% drop.

On a side note, I work at a movie theater. Have been since this past August, and Zootopia consistently gets packed houses... Of adults. During the grade school hours. Yes, Disney Animation and the marketing department really, really, really struck a chord here. Batman v Superman is next weekend, but honestly? I don't see it knocking it down too much, word of mouth for this picture is super-strong. Afterwards, it'll still hang on. $300 million domestically is still a possibility...

Right now, it's now sitting at $591 million worldwide. Just as much as Tangled made overall... Wow! Big Hero 6 will be in the dust within weeks.


In other box office news, Kung Fu Panda 3 is finally opening in more territories. The picture is now at $395 million worldwide, and the last market for it to open in is Netherlands in mid-April. Is $500 million possible? Maybe. Some of the territories it bowed in this weekend were Argentina, Colombia, Greece, Italy, Malaysia, and Japan. Last weekend it came out in many other parts of the world, such as the UK, and a few weeks earlier it debuted in Brazil. What a staggered release...

Now, here's something of a shocker...

Paramount gave Anomalisa its widest expansion yet. The picture is now playing in 573 theaters, I wonder if it's the studio trying to make up for torpedoing The Little Prince? Some are telling me that the film was double-billed with Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Anyways, it's now sitting at $3.4 million domestically. I hope they keep it in longer, or put it in even more theaters. Either way, that was kind of unpredictable to me.

Lastly... Norm of the North ended its theatrical run before the weekend began. $17 million. Should've went straight-to-video, as originally planned.

All in all a good weekend for animation at the box office. Disney Animation's latest continues to soar, DreamWorks' newest got a boost, and Anomalisa expanded...

10 comments:

  1. Which theatre chain do you work for, Regal, AMC, or Cinemark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you work at one of my favorite theatre chains. Love Cinemark! Their service is great, and the people who work at my local Cinemark theatre are awesome.

      Delete
  2. I think the reason Zootopia's so successful has less to do with the marketing and more with the fact that it's a very timely movie. We're basically living in a second Civil Rights movement right now. Subjects like gay marriage, gender identity, and race are more talked-about today than they have been in decades, and the Presidential election has made many people worry about these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wasn't trying to say that the marketing is making it successful now, I mean it helped get people interested in seeing the movie before it came out... But yes, its timely themes are what's keeping it strong and afloat at the box office, in addition to just how good the story is.

      Delete
    2. I wish people wouldn't inject LGBT issues into Zootopia. I support the LGBT community, but there is a time and a place to talk about these kinds of issues, and a discussions about Zootopia are not one of them. I didn't see any of that when I saw the film, all I saw was lessons on prejudice and a commentary on politicians and the press trying to control people's lives.

      Delete
    3. I never said Zootopia itself contained LGBT issues.
      The only reason I mentioned them is because they're a major hot-button subject in real life, along with gender roles and racism. Zootopia doesn't address any of these subjects by name, but its anti-prejudice theme strongly resonates with people who do.

      Delete
    4. I totally understand where you're coming from, Gray.

      Delete
  3. I hope Kung Fu Panda 3 keeps making box office success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it has nothing to do with the subject, but can somebody tell me anything about the Stephen J. Andersen film? Somebody told me that he's working on a project....

    ReplyDelete