Sunday, April 10, 2016

Picking Up Steam: 'Hullabaloo' Progresses, Shorts Will Be Released


A while back, former Disney animator James Lopez revealed that he is at work on something he hopes to turn into a feature-length traditionally animated film: Steampunk action-adventure Hullabaloo...

In an early March interview with the hosts of a show called Tweeks! at the Long Beach Comic Expo, Lopez went over the plot and shared some other details. In the video, you can see some finished footage that promises something spectacular-looking.


Looks amazing, doesn't it? It's like a blend of Disney - especially their early 2000s experiments like Atlantis and Treasure Planet - animation, classic works of steampunk, superhero movies, Mad Max even. I wonder what it'll go for. Will it be a family/PG adventure? Something a little rougher? Like PG-13 level? Who knows!

As Lopez said, they are working on four shorts, two of which they hope to show at film festivals and maybe even on DVD, streaming, etc. That would be lovely, but we'll see. At least it's in some form of production, maybe somehow the shorts will inspire someone to pick it up and turn it into a feature. You never know what could go through, as stranger things have happened. I think it has a decent chance, because it is very Disney-esque in a lot of its look, unlike other hand-drawn productions bubbling under the surface. That could be something of a selling point...

But again, only time will tell. I'm not quite sure if I can say that the future of traditional animation rests on this very project's shoulders or not, either. (Or something like Klaus.) That being said, I'll take a first things first approach: I just want this to be a feature, because you can't go wrong with animated steampunk cross-genre fun.

What do you think of the footage? What do you think this project's future will be? Sound off below!

9 comments:

  1. This maybe a former disney animators revenge on disney. Goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not revenge, it's basically starting again somewhere else.

      Delete
  2. I think 2D is slowly but surely coming back into the mainstream. I seriously believe Moana (through the 2D animated tattoos of course) shows Walt Disney Animation Studios really wants to do it again, and they're hoping, HOPING, this becomes a movie, which itself becomes a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could think the same way you do, but I am having a seriously hard time believing that Disney REALLY would want to do another hand drawn animated film.

      Furthermore, how are we to know that 2D is really coming back into the mainstream? Sure, these indie animated films are great, but will they even be enough?

      I know I'm sounding cynical and skeptical, but I feel like that my hopes have been tested and tossed back and forth over the years. Do I hope that 2D animation will make a comeback? Absolutely. Do I hope we see another Disney hand drawn animated film? Absolutely. But given that none of us know WHAT could happen and given the way things look, it's understandable to be skeptical.

      Delete
  3. I was kind of hoping it was going to be a wide-release feature film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if that were to happen, it would probably end up as a Netflix exclusive.

      Delete
    2. What do you think it'll take to get 2D back in theaters?

      Delete
    3. We'll we're just going to have to accept reality, and realize that 2D is no-longer wanted by today's kids outside of television and the internet. It's really sad.

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry to say this, but MattNor91 is right.

      Delete