Tuesday, May 24, 2016

One More Dive: Final 'Finding Dory' Trailer Debuts


Just in time for the release of Disney's next biggie comes the final trailer for Pixar's Finding Dory...


The trailer isn't great, as it is a little bit noisy in spots - typical of an American animated movie trailer, but it does show some of the emotional scope of the movie. Finding Nemo, like many a Pixar film, had it all in the emotion department, and it looks like the sequel will be no different. For starters, the trailer focuses a lot more on Dory's past.

I think it also hints at something big, something perhaps unexpected or maybe expected yet something that will be a bit of a shock. Given reports I've heard about various things, the way the marketing is going about one particular element of the film, and some of the bittersweet tone of this trailer, I think we're in for a mid or third-act reveal that could really push this movie into Toy Story 3 territory, if not even further... But I won't go on, nor will I thoroughly explain because I don't want to potentially spoil something major.

Other than that, the little glimpses at the Marine Life Institute setting are cool, as are some of the set-pieces such as the one with the giant squid. The humor is certainly there, and mostly works. The adventure seems bigger, what with them trekking the Pacific, going from Australia to California, and a ground-level setting that's 20x bigger than the dentist's office. I can only imagine what else is in store, but as I've said many times on here before, this looks like the next Toy Story 2. A sequel that has a ton of potential, rather than a prequel with an ending we can see coming a mile away (and I love Monsters University, don't get me wrong) and a sequel to a film that perhaps didn't need a direct continuation, I have a feeling this one is going to surprise, big time.

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment